Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law

November 2014 Archives

Disability Benefits for Wounded Warriors

Military service members can receive expedited processing of disability applications from Social Security Administration under a special program called Wounded Warriors. To qualify for the expedited process, military service members must have become disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurred. To be found disabled for Social Security benefits, the military service member must be unable to do substantial work because of his or her medical condition and the medical condition must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least one year or to result in death. It is important to note that Social Security disability benefits are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs, and require a separate application.


The Department of Defense has agreed to reconsider bad-paper discharges for Vietnam veterans and other past war veterans who may have suffered from combat-related PTSD and received other than honorable discharges. The Department of Defense has agreed to give "liberal consideration" for Veterans who seek to correct their military records and upgrade their other than honorable discharge if the Veteran can provide evidence of a PTSD diagnosis that existed at the time of service.

Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226