Disability solutions for you and your family

Photo of attorneys Jonathan P. Gardberg and Colin Edward Kemmerly

Representative Payees

by | Oct 16, 2017 | Social Security Disability |

Representative Payees

In some cases, Social Security may assign a representative payee to help claimants manage their benefits when Social Security determines that the individual would be unable to do so by themselves. Social Security usually selects a person that knows the claimant and the needs of the claimant as the representative payee. Social Security will also consider the request of the claimant when assigning a representative payee.

The following individuals must have representative payees: most children under the age of 18, legally incompetent adults, and anyone Social Security determines would be incapable of managing or directing the management of his or her funds. A representative payee can be any of the following: 1) someone who is concerned with a claimant’s welfare, usually a parent, spouse, relative, guardian, or friend, 2) an institution such as a nursing home or health care provider, 3) a public or nonprofit agency, social service agency, or financial organization, 4) providers or administrative officers at homeless shelters, or 5) a community based


Client Testimonials

Mr. Gardberg – I am forever in your debt. I will never be able to tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for me. I praise you and your firm for all they did to help me in my disability case. Thanks for being so kind.

– L. Nelson

Saying thank you is easy, but you will never know how you impacted my life by helping me with me Social Security disability case. This thank you comes right from the heart.

– R. Turner

Thank you, thank you , thank you to all of the angels in the law firm at Gardberg and Kemmerly. I sincerely hope you know how much you did to make my life better.

– D. Thompson

FindLaw Network