Disability solutions for you and your family

Photo of attorneys Jonathan P. Gardberg and Colin Edward Kemmerly

Adult Children With Disabilities – 2016

by | Feb 2, 2016 | Social Security Disability |

Adult Children With Disabilities

If you have an adult child with disabilities, he or she is eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income just like any other disabled adult, as long as he or she meets the income requirements for SSI. That is, they can’t have more than $2,000 in personal property or income and any monthly income must be below a certain threshold. However, as long as your child is over 18, Social Security will not use the income and resources of family members in this calculation.

In addition to SSI, there may be other benefits a disabled adult child can receive from Social Security. The most common is Disabled Child Benefits. Your child doesn’t need to have worked to receive these benefits. These benefits are available when the following requirements are met:

1. The disability began prior to age 22, AND

2. The disabled adult’s parent(s) receive disability or retirement benefits, OR

3. The disabled adult’s parent(s) have died and have worked enough to qualify for Social Security

If you think your disabled child may be eligible for Social Security benefits, contact Gardberg & Kemmerly today to discuss his or her options. Gardberg & Kemmerly has been assisting Social Security claimants win their disability claims for over 30 years in Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana.


Client Testimonials

Mr. Gardberg – I am forever in your debt. I will never be able to tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for me. I praise you and your firm for all they did to help me in my disability case. Thanks for being so kind.

– L. Nelson

Saying thank you is easy, but you will never know how you impacted my life by helping me with me Social Security disability case. This thank you comes right from the heart.

– R. Turner

Thank you, thank you , thank you to all of the angels in the law firm at Gardberg and Kemmerly. I sincerely hope you know how much you did to make my life better.

– D. Thompson

FindLaw Network