Disability solutions for you and your family

Photo of attorneys Jonathan P. Gardberg and Colin Edward Kemmerly

The Intersection of TRICARE and MEDICARE

by | Jan 19, 2016 | Social Security Disability |

As many people know, TRICARE is the healthcare program with Unformed Service Members (active, Guard/Reserve, and retired) and their families. MEDICARE is a federal healthcare program for people over 65, or receive Social Security disability, or have end-stage kidney disease. There are special rules for retired service members and their families who are also eligible for Medicare. In particular, you are required to pay your premiums for Medicare Part B to keep your TRICARE. You must keep your Medicare Part B from the initial effective date forward to keep your TRICARE coverage. If you have end-stage renal disease, you must sign up for Medicare benefits or lose your TRICARE COVERAGE. Again, the same rules apply if you are eligible for Medicare based on age (65). Failure to enroll in Medicare will result in loss of TRICARE coverage.

The bottom line is that if you are a retired service member or family member of a retired service member who is covered under TRICARE and you become eligible for Medicare, you MUST enroll in Medicare Part B to maintain your TRICARE coverage.

Whether you have questions about VA disability or unemployability or about Social Security disability, contact the experienced disability attorneys at Gardberg & Kemmerly today, where we have been helping claimants successfully obtain disability benefits for over 30 years throughout Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana.


Client Testimonials

Mr. Gardberg – I am forever in your debt. I will never be able to tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for me. I praise you and your firm for all they did to help me in my disability case. Thanks for being so kind.

– L. Nelson

Saying thank you is easy, but you will never know how you impacted my life by helping me with me Social Security disability case. This thank you comes right from the heart.

– R. Turner

Thank you, thank you , thank you to all of the angels in the law firm at Gardberg and Kemmerly. I sincerely hope you know how much you did to make my life better.

– D. Thompson

FindLaw Network