Disability solutions for you and your family

Photo of attorneys Jonathan P. Gardberg and Colin Edward Kemmerly

My child has Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Is she disabled?

by | Dec 9, 2014 | Social Security Disability |

Gardberg & Kemmerly handles children’s disability claims for Supplemental Security Income. These claims are filed by concerned parents who worry that their child is struggling in some particular area and hope that increased income could get them the help they need – for example, additional or specialized medical treatment or additional school tutoring. By far, one of the most common impairments I see is ADHD. Many parents want to know if their child with ADHD can qualify for SSI.

Short answer: Maybe. But keep reading.

Long answer: A diagnosis alone isn’t going to make a child with ADHD qualified to receive SSI. The Social Security Administration is more concerned with how ADHD affects a child’s ability to function at home and at school. So, really, the more important questions include:

1. How is your child doing at school? Is she getting in trouble more than is typical for her age?

2. Does she have friends? Is she getting in fights with other children?

3. Does she follow directions? Is she receiving extra guidance at school?

4. Does she get along with her teachers or other adults in authority?

5. Can she focus on a task long enough to complete it?

If your child has ADHD, and you think it is interfering with her ability to function as an average child her age, our experienced attorneys would be happy to talk with you about her case. Please contact us today with your questions or concerns.


Client Testimonials

Mr. Gardberg – I am forever in your debt. I will never be able to tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for me. I praise you and your firm for all they did to help me in my disability case. Thanks for being so kind.

– L. Nelson

Saying thank you is easy, but you will never know how you impacted my life by helping me with me Social Security disability case. This thank you comes right from the heart.

– R. Turner

Thank you, thank you , thank you to all of the angels in the law firm at Gardberg and Kemmerly. I sincerely hope you know how much you did to make my life better.

– D. Thompson

FindLaw Network