Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law




If you are a disabled veteran you could be entitled to additional benefits in addition to your disability compensation. The following is a non-exhaustive list of some of the more common benefits available to disabled veterans, depending on the degree of disability and the particular veteran's status:

1. The Department of Education provides a program for veterans to discharge student loan debt if the veteran has a service connected disability that is rated at 100% and for veterans who are totally disabled based on Individual Unemployability. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Education;

2. Disabled veterans may be eligible for medical care by the VA health care system for any service connected disability. You may apply for medical care at the nearest VA medical facility;

3. Disabled veterans with a combined rating of at least 10% may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services. To apply, you must complete a VA Form 28-1900;

4. Honorably discharged veterans evaluated as 100% disabled due to service connected disabilities, Medal of Honor recipients, and military retirees and their dependents may qualify for entitlement to Armed Forces Commissary and Exchange privileges;

5. Disabled veterans with a combined rating of at least 30% may be eligible for additional benefits based on dependency, including potential back benefits. To apply for dependency benefits, you must complete a VA Form 21-686c;

6. In addition, your dependents may qualify for Dependents' Educational Assistance. To apply, you must complete a VA Form 22-5490;

7. Your dependents may be eligible for benefits under CHAMPVA.  CHAMPVA is a health benefits program in which the VA shares the cost of certain healthcare and supplies. To qualify, a dependent must be a spouse or child of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled as a result of service connected disabilities. For more information, call the Health Administration Center in Denver, Colorado, at 1-800-733-8387; and

8. If you can answer "yes" to the following questions you may be eligible to have your government life insurance premiums waived:

a. Do you have an active government life insurance policy?

b. Do you currently pay premiums for your government life insurance policy?

c. Are you considered to be unemployable, or are you rated 100% disabled by the VA?

d. Were you under age 65 when you became unable to work or 100% disabled?

For more information on waiving your government life insurance premiums, call the VA Insurance Center at 1-800-669-8477.

If you are a disabled veteran who needs help navigating the VA appeal process or needs help evaluating the benefits you may be entitled to receive, call the experienced attorneys at Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. today for a free case evaluation. Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. serves veterans across the gulf coast, including Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226