If you have been injured in an auto accident or through the negligence of another party, one of your first steps in making a successful claim is to document your recovery period. It may take months or years before your claim will reach a resolution and, you may not remember some pertinent details of the pain, suffering, or emotional distress you suffered at the hands of someone else. Therefore, I highly recommend you keep a running diary of your life as it relates to your accident and injury to keep the events fresh in your mind.
Consider documenting the following:
- Date of accident
- Witnesses to accident
- Pictures of damage and injuries
- Places of medical treatment
- Names of doctors who treated you
- Medical diagnosis
- Dates of treatment
- Days missed from work
- Co-pays, prescriptions receipts, social events missed, etc.
- How your injuries have negatively affected your ability to function in, and enjoy, life.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will help you use this information to best present your claim to the insurance company or jury.