Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law

Adult Children With Disabilities

Adults with disabilities who have never worked may be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income, as long as he or she meets the income requirements for SSI.  They cannot have more than $2,000 in personal property or income (or $3,000 if married) and any monthly household income must be below a certain threshold. 

Adult children with lifelong disabilities may qualify for special benefits based on their parent's earning record.  These are called Disabled Child Benefits.  A disabled adult child doesn't need to have worked to receive these benefits.  These benefits are available when the following requirements are met:

1. The disability began prior to age 22, AND

2. The disabled adult's parent(s) receive disability or retirement benefits, OR

3. The disabled adult's parent(s) are deceased and have worked enough to qualify for Social Security

Disabled Child Benefits are often overlooked, but are an invaluable way to secure stable monetary and insurance benefits for adult children with lifelong disabilities. 

If you think your disabled child may be eligible for Social Security benefits, contact Gardberg & Kemmerly today to discuss his or her options.  Gardberg & Kemmerly has been assisting Social Security claimants win their disability claims for over 30 years in Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226