Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law

Representative Payees

Representative Payees

In some cases, Social Security may assign a representative payee to help claimants manage their benefits when Social Security determines that the individual would be unable to do so by themselves. Social Security usually selects a person that knows the claimant and the needs of the claimant as the representative payee. Social Security will also consider the request of the claimant when assigning a representative payee.

The following individuals must have representative payees: most children under the age of 18, legally incompetent adults, and anyone Social Security determines would be incapable of managing or directing the management of his or her funds. A representative payee can be any of the following: 1) someone who is concerned with a claimant's welfare, usually a parent, spouse, relative, guardian, or friend, 2) an institution such as a nursing home or health care provider, 3) a public or nonprofit agency, social service agency, or financial organization, 4) providers or administrative officers at homeless shelters, or 5) a community based

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226