Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law

My child has Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Is she disabled?

Gardberg & Kemmerly handles children's disability claims for Supplemental Security Income. These claims are filed by concerned parents who worry that their child is struggling in some particular area and hope that increased income could get them the help they need - for example, additional or specialized medical treatment or additional school tutoring. By far, one of the most common impairments I see is ADHD. Many parents want to know if their child with ADHD can qualify for SSI.

Short answer: Maybe. But keep reading.

Long answer: A diagnosis alone isn't going to make a child with ADHD qualified to receive SSI. The Social Security Administration is more concerned with how ADHD affects a child's ability to function at home and at school. So, really, the more important questions include:

1. How is your child doing at school? Is she getting in trouble more than is typical for her age?

2. Does she have friends? Is she getting in fights with other children?

3. Does she follow directions? Is she receiving extra guidance at school?

4. Does she get along with her teachers or other adults in authority?

5. Can she focus on a task long enough to complete it?

If your child has ADHD, and you think it is interfering with her ability to function as an average child her age, our experienced attorneys would be happy to talk with you about her case. Please contact us today with your questions or concerns.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226