Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law

Will I have to pay taxes on my Social Security disability benefits?

With taxes due in only a few short days, it brings to mind an important question: will you have to pay taxes on your Social Security disability benefits?

Like so many other things with Social Security, there's no simple yes or no answer. The basic guidelines are as follows:

Some people who get Social Security have to pay taxes on their benefits. About one-third of our current beneficiaries pay taxes on their benefits. You will be affected only if you have substantial income in addition to your Social Security benefits.

  • If you file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your income is more than $25,000, you have to pay taxes.
  • If you file a joint return, you may have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a combined income that is more than $32,000.
  • If you are married and file a separate return, you will probably pay taxes on your benefits.

Addition information is available in SSA Publication No. 05-10153. For more information, you can contact the Internal Revenue Service.

If you are disabled and receiving Social Security disability benefits and you have questions about what taxes, if any, you may owe, you should contact an experienced accountant for additional help.

If you are disabled and need help getting approved for your Social Security disability benefits, please do not hesitate to contact one of the experienced disability attorneys at our firm for help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226