Gardberg & Kemmerly, P.C. Attorneys at Law

November 2010 Archives

Contacting the VA

One of the many problems I hear over and over again is the frustration of veterans and their families in contacting the VA. There are several ways I recommend to do this.

I Owe Student Loan Money. Can the Federal Government Take My Social Security Disability Payments To Repay It?

The simple answer is yes, the government can take part of your backpay and monthly checks to repay any money that you owe the federal government, including student loan money. In 1996, Congress passed the Debt Collection Improvement Act. This Act allows the government to collect non-tax government debts by way of "administrative offset." For the first time, Congress allowed that Social Security disability funds can be used to satisfy outstanding federal debt. However, under this Act, the first $9000 received in any 12-month period is protected. Full-text of the 1996 act can be found at:

Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Firm Contact Information:

1015 Montlimar Drive, Suite B4
Mobile, AL 36609

Map & Directions

Phone: 251-243-7872
Toll Free: 877-539-1739
Fax: 251-342-3747

Mississippi: 228-435-4000
Florida: 850-458-1226